1. Unclip the head strap (b). Hold the padded noseband (a) with one hand and hold a treat with the other so that when your dog approaches to eat the treat he places his nose under the noseband (fig.1).
2. Repeat this process so that your dog becomes comfortable with the headcollar.
3. While your dog is eating a treat rest the noseband on his muzzle and clip and adjust the head strap (b) behind his ears.
You should be able to slip one finger underneath the head strap when it is correctly fitted. Offer treats and lots of praise.
4. If your dog is sensitive to being touched, try to adjust the head strap so that it’s close to the correct fit before clipping it on.
5. Make sure that the collar attachment (d) is attached for security by looping it under your dog’s collar and reattaching it to the metal ring (fig.2). Adjust the length to fit if necessary. Continue to offer treats and praise.
6. Play with your dog or keep him busy to reduce the likelihood of rubbing at the noseband. After a couple of minutes stop playing and gently remove the headcollar.
7. Repeat this several times a day for up to a week so that your dog learns to enjoy wearing his headcollar. Gradually increase the time he wears it.
8. You are now ready to clip your lead to the metal ring of the Easy-Steer System and begin your walk. Use your Walk-Ease Headcollar every time for consistent training (fig.3).